Absolutely! I think most towns already are, but if yours doesn’t, I hope this inspires you to create something. I love this blog topic because it gave me incentive to research what our town of Woodstock, Georgia is doing with social media.
We moved here over four years ago from Marietta, GA. We still have cows, horses, sheep, goats grazing everywhere. Farms dot the land in this rural area. No major stores in my part of town, just lovely mom and pop shops and small shopping centers anchored by grocery stores. I also enlisted the help of some Woodstock friends including Brad Nix, James Ball and Mike Pennington. Here’s what we found:
Woodstock Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/pages/Woodstock-Georgia
Woodstock Police Social Media Alerts(one of the first departments to embrace social media): www.woodstockga.gov/index.aspx?NID=416
Woodstock Downtown Condos: www.facebook.com/pages/Woodstock-Downtown-Condos/
Around About Townelaker Magazine Twitter Feed: www.twitter.com/townelaker (James is digital editor) and its equivalent Facebook page:http://facebook.com/aroundabouttownelaker
Woodstock Community Guide: www.woodstockcommunityguide.com (Brad is editor)
Main Street Woodstock: www.facebook.com/MainStreetWoodstock
All of these sites are timely and have been updated within the past week. The locals are definitely sharing the Woodstock love in Georgia and its not just the hippies! (Bad joke, I know.)
As Mike put it, “I agree small towns should do whatever they can to become relevant and what better way to do that than through social media outlets.”
Social media gives people a way to connect locally which is more important now than it ever was. Even though people seem to be more disconnected than ever because of technology, I believe the tide is turning and people are becoming connected to others through using these tools on a local level. Have you thought about starting a local Facebook page or blog for your town? If so, please share them with us in the comments!

0 comments:
Post a Comment